.

.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sandy B's Review of Nikolai (A Dark Light Novella) by S.L. Jennings - with Interview



Two centuries ago, I clawed my way into a world of immorality, filth and destruction. A world seething with secrets and lies, both mortal and immortal.

Complete and utter Darkness. 

I know we’re supposed to be inherently evil, but something inside me refuses to fully believe our legends. Something that calls out for more…calls out for her. 

But there are rules. Rules that control the balance of nature. And if broken, it could destroy everything I’ve ever known. It could destroyme.

I am Nikolai Skotos, son of Stavros and Delia, and brother of Dorian, the heir of the Dark throne. I am one of the most powerful Dark forces to have ever walked this earth.

And I once was lost.
Now, I’m about to give it all up for the girl that found me.


*This is a PREQUEL NOVELLA for the Dark Light Series, NOT Book 3, to be read AFTER reading Dark Light & The Dark Prince*


Sandy B's Review
I very rarely give out 5 stars ratings - especially for a novella.  HOWEVER, Nikolai is special.   As is S.L. Jenning’s writing.  The depth of emotion expressed in this short read went beyond words to me.  Personally, I loved Niko – to me – he is an anti-hero.  Kind of like Mel Gibson's character Porter in the movie Payback.  Haven't seen it?  You should check it out then.  Anyway, I digress.  Nikolai is a prequel to the Dark Light Series.  If you haven’t read them – get on it!  Totally worth your time and money.  It tells us more about Niko – we met him in The Dark Prince. 
This is Nikolai BA (Before Amelie) - “Humans are weak. You tell them to stay away.  You tell them not to touch the flame because it will burn.  Yet they still come to sate their licentious needs, getting off on the forbidden fruit dangled in front of their dumbstruck faces.  They know it’s wrong; they know that bright red apple is rotten to the core, festered with maggots and disease. But they want it. And I give it to them. I’d be a fool not to. F*cking humans.”– Nikolai
This is Nikolai AA (After Amelie) - “I want to erase all the confusion and anger that has haunted me my entire life. Never good enough…always the black sheep. I need to find a substitute for the turmoil brewing inside my hollow chest, bubbling over until it feel like acid singing my throat. I wan to end it all and forget what I am. WHO I am.”- Nikolai
Niko knows from the moment he lays eyes on this “girl” he knows she is different.  He knows that she will change his life.  He knows that she SEES him – the good, bad, ugly, selfish, killer, lover – he is all those things and she knows each and every single one intimately – much to his surprise. 
Usually, I put the my fave blurbs before the review.  In this case, those two blurbs are critical because they how the metamorphosis of Nikolai.  Those statements are very clear indications of where his head and his heart are at that moment.  Clear indication of who he is!  S.L. Jennings has a way of pulling emotion out of you.  Every single time she makes me FEEL.  Whether she’s writing in the contemporary new adult genre or the paranormal.  Nikolai will make you want to go back and re-read the Dark Light Series.  Nikolai will make you want more and we will be getting more when Book #3 is released.  Unfortunately, she’s keeping that date under her hat for now.  Don’t worry people, I nag, I mean, gently attempt to persuade her every day to give up the goods.  Dive in and get a taste of Niko – he just might ruin you too.   
In case you missed the Dark Light series – the links are below:
Dark Light - http://amzn.to/1aCJxXz
The Dark Prince - http://amzn.to/1ji0zw2
Nikolai: a Dark Light Novella - http://amzn.to/1cOdzf7

Interview with S.L. Jennings!!


SANDY B:  Did you always want to be a writer?
S.L.:  Yes & no. I knew I always wanted to be an artist whether it was writing or music. I wasn't cut out to do anything else.
SANDY B:  How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?
S.L.:  It used to really affect me but, honestly, I don't check them anymore. Most people will send me a link of their review if they'd like me to see it. Otherwise, I make it a point to stay away. Takes me out of my groove.
SANDY B:  Are the names of the characters in your novels important?
S.L.:  Yes. I'm a name person. Each is selected very carefully.
SANDY B:  Your fans know that your latest - Nikolai - is actually a prequel to the Dark Light Series.  Why do a prequel?  Was it by fan request?  Or did you feel that the dark delicious bad/good guy with the hidden tender heart otherwise known as Niko deserved his own novella?  Phew! That was a mouthful.
S.L.:  It was totally for the readers - 100%. People wanted more of him. And in order to set up Light Shadows, we had to go back a bit. Everything is connected. No one lives - or dies - out of sheer coincidence.
SANDY B:  Personally, I loved Niko - he's the anti-hero.  Loved him in the same way that I loved Mel Gibson's character Porter in the movie Payback.  Haven't seen it?  You should check it out then.
S.L.:  I haven't, unfortunately. But I agree- Niko is the anti-hero. I think his flaws are what make him lovable. It's what makes him human.
SANDY B:  Inquiring minds want to know what’s next for you?  The inquiring mind being MINE of course.
S.L.:  Light Shadows, of course.  And Taint! Really excited for that one.
SANDY B:  New project Date?  TBA?
S.L.:  TBA. It's a secret. 

No comments:

Post a Comment